Digital Marketing professionals optimize websites for different search engines and the targeted audience. With this practice, they aim to boost the SEO ranking of websites and help their owners to get more traffic and business opportunities. Websites are optimized as per the uses of search engines. Most SEO professionals focus on the guidelines of Google’s SEO because it is used globally.
If you dream to take your online business in different domains and be a leader on the web, start thinking beyond Google as soon as possible. These days, alternative search engines carry a huge business potential and are helpful for all those people who suffer a lot due to regularly updated Google’s search algorithm. They help you to stay in the competition despite the poor performance of your website in Google’s SERP.
Yandex is a Russian Search Engine, which is giving a tough fight to Google’s hegemony in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Turkey. It is also used in different parts of the world as an alternative search engine. Nothing is wrong when you get some additional traffic from Yandex while optimizing your website for European online Market, where this search engine has started to gain popularity. You must always keep in mind that Yandex SEO and Google SEO differ from each other. There are many reasons why Yandex is ahead of Google in Russia. So, how to optimize your website for Yandex apart from Google & win in European online market? Let’s study.
- Get Acquainted with Yandex Ranking Factors at First
Always keep in mind that Yandex uses nearly 800 parameters for ranking websites in its SERP. If you want to promote the ranking of websites for higher search results on Yandex, optimize them for the maximum possible factors. As an SEO specialist hardly know all ranking factors, you should use Yandex Recommendations for webmasters to get acquainted with main ranking factors. It will help you to know how Yandex works when it comes to SEO.
- Technical Optimization of Websites for Yandex
To make an effective start, start optimizing your website for Yandex by analyzing and improving its technical parameters. Take care of website loading speed, cross-browser compatibility, and the validity of the HTML code. Also, eliminate broken links as Yandex hates it. All these are necessary to help search robots of Yandex to find and index your website or its pages and show them in search results as per user’s search terms. Here are some important recommendations:
- All web pages that you are promoting for Yandex must give 200 response code to the server,
- Optimize your website with a mobile-first approach,
- Use a content management system that allows you to edit the meta tags of pages,
- Your website uptime should be 100% at all the times.
- Website Structure
A competently built website navigation structure helps Yandex search robots to find all the important pages and determine their value for the targeted audience correctly. In order to efficiently optimize the website structure for Yandex, make sure that pages on your website are interlinked with other pages with at least one link. Some other recommendations for website structure are:
|Headings and Sub-headings||If you have a catalog of goods and services, divide them into multiple categories, sub-categories, and separate pages with descriptions that reveal certain aspects of the advertised stuff.|
|Add an HTML and XML Sitemap to your website||It helps Yandex to find to easily find all important pages on your website and index them in its database.|
|All pages must have a Unique URL||Perform URL optimization to help your website rank well on Yandex.|
|Say No to Duplicate Content||Yandex hates duplicate content. It can restrict your website for using the low-quality content. So, always use high-quality content while optimizing websites for Yandex.|
- Content Marketing for Yandex
Just like Google, Yandex aims to offer the best possible results to the user’s query. So, websites or their pages must necessarily contain high-quality content accompanied by relevant keywords and search queries. SEO professionals must think of the “textual correspondence” of the keywords they use for website optimization.
If you end up choosing inappropriate keywords, Yandex will not give importance to your website. Furthermore, the mere presence of relevant keywords in website content is not sufficient. Yandex observes your content presentation technique and determines how clear and user-friendly it is for the targeted audience. If you are optimizing your website for the Russian audience, make sure your website has unique and error-free content. The same holds true for the ranking of English language websites on Yandex.
- Optimization of Page Header and Meta Tags
Give special attention to the title and meta tags of web pages while optimizing them for Yandex. The title will be shown to users as a link to the page in Yandex’s SERP and description tag is used as a page snippet. Some recommendations you must follow:
- Your title should be maximum 65 characters and must be related the content,
- Do not include keywords in the title that are unavailable on the page,
- The snippet must be of 150-170 characters,
- The description must accurately describe the main essence of content,
- Each page must have unique headings and descriptions.
- Regionality of the Site
It resembles to local SEO in Google. The Yandex algorithm uses a regional formula to rank sites for search requests. Priority in a particular region is given to local service providers. You need to follow these recommendations-
- In order to allow Yandex to automatically identify and assign a region, just place the full address of your organization on the site (including a zip code) and contact phone number (with area code) in contact us page.
- If your company has several regional offices, then show all of them on your website.
- Always register the main office of the organization and its representative offices in the Yandex.Script as it will help Yandex to compile snippets of organizations for your site easily and effortlessly and
- If regional offices have their subdomains, then you just need to register each of them separately and place links in the navigation to these subdomains so that both users and Yandex robot can access them. Furthermore, each subdomain must contain relevant contact addresses and phone numbers.
- Image Optimization
Good-quality images play a greater role in the success of websites. They help websites to attract the attention of the audience and enable visitors to understand the main message of content easily and quickly. Image optimization for Yandex is same as you do for Google.
- Monitor Your Site’s Security
Yandex hates unsafe or hacked websites. Pages or websites that are infected with viruses lose their positions in Yandex’s SERP. You need to be careful about website security and take all possible measures to ensure its safety at all costs.
Google Vs Yandex debate is heating up with each passing day as Yandex has started to challenge Google’s supremacy by offering a wide range of products and services to the rapidly growing Internet audience all over the world.
The fact is that Internet Penetration Rate in Europe is all-time high. So, companies try to expand their business to this continent to get more business opportunities & make more revenues. So, optimize your website both for Google & Yandex and get the desired success in the European online market. Good Luck!
Robert Sumner works as a Blogger at Media Fortress, one of the leading and quickest growing SEO Agency Australia. He writes about various aspects of digital marketing such as SEO, email marketing, digital trends, social media and a lot more. He would love to share the experience, knowledge, and thoughts with others on the web. For more blogs, you can follow him on Facebook, and Twitter.