People living in a home or apartment will eventually realize that they have more things than they have room to keep them. This abundance of goods has given rise to a large number of storage options. These options allow people to organize their homes and move unnecessary items into storage. The perfect option for storing goods is storage boxes.
What Kind of Storage Boxes Exist?
Storage boxes come in a variety of sizes, materials, and configurations.
- Cardboard Storage Boxes: At the small end, there are boxes available to store delicate items such as necklaces, rings, or bracelets. These boxes tend to be made of heavy weight cardboard due to its low cost and strength.
- Plastic Storage Boxes: Medium sized options include storage for typical household items such as clothing, shoes, or baby goods. These sized boxes are typically made from a range of plastics. This material gives the box more strength than cardboard but maintains its lightweight and low cost.
- One of the downsides of plastics is that it can be brittle. Brittle plastic can easily break when dropped from even waist height. To compensate for this deficiency, manufactures are putting additives into the plastic manufacturing process to give flexibility to the plastic. The softer plastic loses its rigidity, but is less likely to crack.
- Wood Storage Boxes: Another popular material for building medium sized storage boxes is wood. This gives the boxes a more natural look and is a popular material for boxes that will be visible in the home. The cost to manufacture wood is higher than plastics. Wooden boxes are also not able to be shaped or have rounded corners added without significantly increasing the cost to manufacture.
- As the size of the box increases, the material strength becomes increasingly important. Therefore, for large boxes stronger materials such as wood or metals are preferred. Plastics are not used as much when the size is large because they tend to be either too brittle and break or too soft and can’t support a load.
- Metal Boxes: The largest storage box that is familiar can been seen on container ships. These container boxes are made of metal and store goods for transport across the globe. These boxes are watertight and can hold any kind of goods. The size of these boxes fits both boat and semi-truck, so moving goods from sea to land transport is as easy as moving the container from the boat to a semitrailer.
Tips and Tricks for Storing Your Goods
When you plan to de-clutter your home and move items into storage, it can be useful to follow some of these tips and tricks.
- Put heavy items at the bottom. It may seem like common sense, but it is important to keep the heaviest items on the bottom. Putting heavy items on the top of the box may damage your items stored on the bottom. When stacking multiple boxes, you must also make sure to put the heaviest boxes on the bottom to lessen the chance of the stack of boxes from toppling over or breaking boxes on the bottom of the stack.
- Label the boxes. If you are like most people, you will put small boxes into medium sized boxes, then into large boxes. However, when it comes time for taking those items out of the box, you will find it time-consuming to find the items you need without labels. So, when you go out to purchase your storage containers, also consider buying a label-making machine. Putting labels on every box will make it much easier to find the items you need in the future.